[K12OSN] Nic Teaming Nic Bonding thoughts

Quentin Hartman qhartman at lane.k12.or.us
Mon Mar 6 23:08:11 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-05 at 13:27 -0600, cisna-barry at wc235.k12.il.us wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> Could anyone give their thoughts on, nic bonding /teaming with using K12LTSP?
> Just wondering if this concept in the real world actually nets a network
> much more bandwidth? Was thinking of possibly setting up nic teaming on
> one of our servers if anyone, that has actually used this setup, has found
> noticable gains in network throughput.
> We seem to have very decent bandwidth but it doesnt hurt to try some new
> things along the way. I wondered if this would be more headaches than it
> is worth.

I've used NIC bonding in the past for high-demand NAS servers where Gb
equipment wasn't available. I "tied" 3 NICs together and got significant
throughput boosts, for little headache. I don't remember the numbers
exactly, but it was pretty impressive for an effectively $0 upgrade.

--
-Regards-

-Quentin Hartman-
Technology Coordinator