[K12OSN] Multimedia on Thin Clients

David Whitmer dwblue02 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 8 11:25:35 UTC 2006

--- Carl Keil <carl at snarlnet.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to be able to view more types of video
> clips on my thin
> clients.  Is anyone here having luck with mpeg video
> with sound?  I'd
> like to store video clips on the server and view
> them on the clients.
> I'd be creating the video from scratch so I can use
> whatever codecs
> work.  If you've got video clips playing I'd like to
> know:
>
> what k12ltsp version
> what window manager/desktop environment
> what video player and version
> what audio settings
> what video settings
> what format are the videos - what audio and video
> codecs
> any special tricks you did to make it work.
>
> I suppose that's too much to ask, but I'm really
> curious about how to
> get video playing on my TC's.  I haven't had any
> luck at all using
> mplayer, realplayer or xine.  Gnome or KDE on the
> latest stabe k12ltsp
> distro.
>
> ck

Carl,

Try videolan (aka VLC), which is available via
yum/yumex in either extras or livna (I forget which).

I never could get mplayer to work on thin clients (I
was trying to play wmv and quicktime files)... it kept
locking up the thin client sessions.

VLC worked really well for all movie file types once I
got the video settings right.  (Setting the video
output module to "simple directmedia layer" worked for
me.)

This is on K12LTSP 4.4.1 in GNOME, with audio already
working on the thin client (via ESD).  I haven't tried
VLC yet in KDE.

David