[K12OSN] Starting with NO Thin Clients to PC or to Thin

Gideon Romm ltsp at symbio-technologies.com
Wed Mar 8 16:51:29 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 08:01 -0600, ATM Logic wrote:
>  I would like to deploy this to a small school for a K-4 enviroment...(20-30
> Client)

If sound is important, I would suggest going with an IceWM or Gnome
desktop environment and esd sound.  I know David Trask and other of my
friends up in Maine will probably advocate nasd rather than esd, but you
will get great support either way from this list.

> I think its important to have sound at this level, so that is one part.
> Now... If they are starting with nothing, should they try to round up a
> whole load of mix and match PC's or go all, brand new thin clinets?  If new
> and thin... What do you recommend?  Wyse, Compaq, Dell?

If you are planning on having a lab for many years and are starting
fresh, you will save yourself a lot of time and aggravation going with
new thin clients.  It will also impress parents/teachers/kids/decision
makers a lot more.

That said, if you don't have the budget and would like to reuse old
equipment, note that if sound is important, make sure that all the sound
cards are PCI (*not* ISA) and that they work well in Linux.

In terms of diskless thin client products, you can check out:

1. DisklessWorkstations.com (owned/operated by LTSP founders Jim
McQuillan and Ron Colcernian)
2. DisklessThinClients.com ( a brand new store operated by Symbio
Technologies - also a member of the core LTSP development team, but
stocked with thin clients from many manufacturers.  There is a nice
compare feature - if I do say so myself - where you can compare a
variety of models side-by-side )

Hopefully, that should get you started.

Cheers,

-Gideon