[K12OSN] My server (Was: Multimedia on Thin Clients)

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 20:16:04 UTC 2006

On 3/8/06, Shawn Powers <spowers at inlandlakes.org> wrote:

> I have a Dual Xeon 3.2Ghz machine with 2MB cache.  The drives are SCSI
> U320 in a Raid5 array (hardware RAID), and the /home directory is
> mounted via NFS over the second gigabit ethernet adapter.  It has 6GB of
> RAM, but since I'm running a stock 4.0.1 install, only 4GB is recognized.

Thanks Shawn. I think the smp kernel that comes with 4.2.2EL can
handle upto 64G of ram. I have 4G. With RH9 it saw 3.6G, with Centos 4
it sees all 4. RH9 had a bigmem kernel which was smp enabled but the
2.6 kernels have a hugemem kernel. But then Centos does not have
hugemem, just smp (which acts like hugemem) so it can see upto 64G.
Mind you these 32bit kernels use tricks to access addresses over 3.6G.
True x86_64 does not have the performance hit that these tricks
require. Not to mention be able to address a *GIGANTIC* amount of ram.

> I use a very spartan IceWM desktop, and don't load nautilus by default.
>   It is a button on the toolbar, so users can browse their files with
> it, but it doesn't automatically load.  Also, I use XDM rather than KDM
> or GDM -- I'm not sure if that lessens the load any, but it sure leaves
> it simple.  Just a login box with no choices. :)

Did you follow the xdm chooser how to in the wiki
http://www.k12ltsp.org/phpwiki/index.php/Technical%3AXdmChooser

Wondering how you made xdm default?

--
Robert Arkiletian