[K12OSN] [OT] Web and mailserver

Trey Sizemore trey at fastmail.fm
Thu Mar 9 17:16:16 UTC 2006

On Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:37PM, Kevin Verheyen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> a question completly offlist but quite urgent as our main server is a little dying.....
>
> What kind of a setup would you prefer as web/mail and ftp server?
> At this moment we're running a collocated server (as it is located for free). (intel celeron 2.53 with 512 RAM and two HD RAID 80 Gb)
> Th use of the server is primary email for about 500 accounts, and a lot of photo-based websites, some of them with flash video)
> (example-site: http://sint-lutgardis.be )
>
> One of my headmasters (who's in charge for IT) would love too see us going back to a providerbased webhosting, or at least using a dedicated service.
>
> What are your experiences with web/mail serving?
> (our schools in belgium do not have T3 lines ;-) we only have ADSL with 384 Kb upload)
>
> Your input will be highly appreciated.
>
> Kindly Regards,
>
> Kevin Verheyen
> IT Departement SG RUPEL
> Belgium
> kevin at sint-lutgardis.be

Not sure I understand the question...are you looking for
recommendations for web hosting providers?  Or are you looking for
experiences with web/mail using a provider.

I've had very good success with the providers I've used for hosting of
these services.  Relatively small downtime.

--
Cheers,
Trey

How much does it cost to entice a dope-smoking UNIX system guru to
Dayton?
		-- Brian Boyle, UNIX/WORLD's First Annual Salary Survey

Linux chameleon 2.6.13-15-default i686 GNU/Linux
 12:14pm  up 1 day 15:04,  4 users,  load average: 0.55, 0.58, 0.49