[K12OSN] NAT not starting on bootup

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Mon Mar 13 15:19:17 UTC 2006

Okay, I think I know what might be happening:  Because of some changes in the network
layout after the server was built, iptables has never worked quite right; specifically,
it interferes with the Windows boxes' ability to talk to Samba on the server.  So, while
it's still set to 'on' in chkconfig, I've been turning it off after a boot.  This means
the NAT stuff, which is just some parameters fed into iptables and is done after
/etc/init.d/iptables is run, goes away, too.  That would explain why starting NAT
manually works until the next reboot.  So, I can either fix iptables or set it to 'off'
in chkconfig, and then I think everything will be okay.  Thanks Burke, it was your
mention of NAT starting before iptables (it doesn't--but it could) that gave me the clue
as to what was happening.

Petre