[K12OSN] help with a server please

Sudev Barar sbarar at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 01:32:55 UTC 2006

On 14/03/06, Alejandro Mel <piritarodo at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I bought very cheap  second hand 20 compaq deskpro 233Mhx mmx 32MB Floppy
> and 2mb S3 video card and 3COM 100Mbit netcard
>
> Regarding the network, I am thinking of buying a 24 port switch with one/two
> 1GBIT port for the server
>
> The only thing I can t decide is the SERVER because Iam a little confused.
> Iam going to tell you what I have in mind..... tell me wrong things, changes
> , etc...etc etc
>
> AMD SEMPRON 3000+
> 1GB KINGSTON/CORSAIR DUAL cas 2.5
> WESTERN DIGITAL 76 GB RAPTOR 10K
> A POWERFULL POWER SUPPLY 500W TOPOWER
> UPS FOR MORE STABILITY
>
> what do you think about RAID 0 with two raptor wd??? ECC CAS2 MEMORY is
> wasting money???

With 20 clients in cyber cafe I strongly recommend go for SCSI drives.
I know they are expensive but worth every penny spent else with 20
users (or even 10+) disk(s) will start becoming performance
bottleneck. If you can bump the RAM to 2gb it would be good or you
will see lot of swap happening. In fact the first priority is RAM and
then SCSI drive.
--
Sudev Barar
Learning Linux