[K12OSN] OSticket a good trouble ticket prog

Mike Ely mely at rogueriver.k12.or.us
Tue Mar 14 15:48:33 UTC 2006

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 07:41, Mark Gumprecht wrote:
>> I've been using IRM
>> http://www.stackworks.net/view.php/irm/index.html
>
> Don't forget Request Tracker: http://www.bestpractical.com/rt/.
> It can be a little tricky to set up but is very flexible and
> dependable once you get it running.  There is also an
> asset tracker add on that ties to inventory.   There may
> be a VMware appliance version available soon to eliminate
> the trouble of installing all of the perl module dependencies.

The "trickiness level" really depends on your distro.  Someone put in a
TON of work getting RT working on Debian Sarge, so installing it for me
was a matter of issuing the command "apt-get install request-tracker"
and then agreeing to a lengthy list of prerequisites.  Time from that
command to having it configured with several queues, correct
permissions, and integrated with my postfix and apache: about 3 hours.

Aside from being very useful to me, one of the best moments of my RT
setup came a couple of months later, when I was showing our setup to
another education tech person (an ESD guy, actually), and his eyes grew
wide as he said over and over "It can do THAT?"  Turns out they'd spent
well into five digits on a system that required IE6 for techs to look at
tickets entered into the system, didn't automatically email a reply to
ticket creators, didn't allow emails to pass through the system and be
entered into the ticket tracking, and didn't allow internal comments.  I
didn't know what to say to him.

Cheers,
Mike