[K12OSN] Partner in crime on an LTSP/Wine pitch?

Jeremy White jwhite at winehq.org
Tue Mar 14 23:02:06 UTC 2006

Hi Folks,

I was talking to a helpful person at OETC, and
he suggested that I prepare a blurb/survey about the use of Linux
in education, and work to get it published in some larger scale
national mailings, such as those put out by ISTE.

The back story is that I'm trying to drum up enough gathered
interest on the part of a school/district/region in making
a move to Linux that they would be willing to help sponsor some
limited work on Wine to fix up the applications they need.

This is a bit of a personal mission for me; I believe that Linux,
and particularly LTSP, are a wicked cool solution for schools,
and I would like to see more schools using it.  Where Wine can
be instrumental in making that happen, I'd like to help.

The challenge is that, while Wine is an amazing technology,
if often doesn't work.  And if there was 1 killer app,
then we could just focus on making it run.  But as Dan
discovered, there is no killer app in education; it's all
over the map.

But, undaunted, I press on, looking for some vicious or
even mildly dangerous apps <grin>.

So the plan is something like this:

The blurb would be briefly educational about all
the goodness in LTSP and Wine, and encourage folks to fill out the survey.

The survey would try to triage some sense of how much
interest there is in Linux, what the awareness level is
for LTSP, what are the obstacles to educators, and what Windows apps they crave.
Hopefully it'll also give them pointers to places for more
help (e.g. this list).

My thinking is that this blurb would be authored from
a community perspective; ideally from someone @k12ltsp.org
and from jwhite at winehq.org.

I was hoping I could find a partner in crime who would be
willing to work with me on this pitch, and help assemble
the LTSP portion.

Any takers?  Feel free to email me off list.

Cheers,

Jeremy