[K12OSN] ReadNaturally and WINE

Justin Paulsen paulsenj at frederic.k12.wi.us
Fri Mar 17 16:59:45 UTC 2006

The hardware seems fairly reasonable, I purchased a server for it
(although it will be running a few other items as well) but didn't spend
all that much.

I went with a P4 2.66 GHz with 1 GB RAM and a 160 GB SATA 7200 RPM HDD.
 I am using a win2k server lic I had laying around so no cost there.

I am expecting to accomidate an active load of about 15 to 20 kids at a
time (I'm using MSDE which only supports a limited number of
connections).  I think this setup should do.  Of course this is for an
elementary school with only 240 students (we have only 536 students
total in the district).

I haven't load tested the server but I expect it will run ok.  I have
already put in suggestions of them switching it to php and making a db
that is compatible with mysql/postgresql and the ability to use apache.
 But I encourage others to do the same, maybe they will listen.

I will try to remember to let the list know how it goes when I put it
into production, still waiting on the AR quizzes and I need to transfer
the users and data from the old system yet.

> Message: 5
> Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:52:43 -0800
> From: Mike Ely <mely at rogueriver.k12.or.us>
> Subject: Re: [K12OSN] ReadNaturally and WINE
> To: "Support list for opensource software in schools."
> 	<k12osn at redhat.com>
>
> Justin Paulsen wrote:
> <snip>
>
>>>BTW, We are in the process of moving from STAR Math, STAR Reading, and
>>>Reading counts to RenPlace STAR Math, STAR Reading, and Accelerated
>>>Reader.  And if you are a tech with half a brain you can install Ren
>>>Place yourself contrary to what their sales and tech people will tell
>>>you.  I had no issues installing it myself on a clean win2k server install.
>>>

> With regard to this, I'm looking at the option of the remotely-hosted
> version versus hosting our own.  How much hardware does it need?  We
> really can't afford the outlay for a dedicated windows server just to
> support one application, and only have a single (underutilized) 2k3
> server license in this Samba shop.
>
> Cheers,
> Mike Ely

- --