[K12OSN] UDP checksum error on client when loading kernel

Barry R Cisna cisna-barry at wc235.k12.il.us
Sat Mar 18 22:16:44 UTC 2006

Petre,

I run into the same problem you are having with your HP's many moons
ago. After many minutes/hours, ugh ,trying to get some of these older
HP's to work, with the native,onboard nics im relatively certain, that
it is something to do with the HP Bios in these older boxes are not
flexible enough to do IRQ sharing correctly at BIOS level ,hence the
ethernet cards start/try to work but then runs out of IRQ allocation
when they actually start to bootup causing the cards to get stupid and
chokes. I do remeber messing with every conceviable setting in the bios
changing things,just trying to see if i could get these old machines to
work with the builtin nics. No Joy. Best bet is just to buy $5
realtek8139 nic's and stuff one in each one of these  box's and save
yourself a lot of time and frustration. As I remeber you cant even
disable the onboard nic in the bios settings but realtek pci nics should
operate corrctly in these machines.I guess its the old "been there done
that" deal.

Take Care,

Barry Cisna