[K12OSN] Brodcasting to Wireless 2.4 connections...

ssanders at coin.org ssanders at coin.org
Sun Mar 19 10:14:39 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 12:46 -0600, ATM Logic wrote:
> I have an Idea to use the K12LTSP in a community of about 200 or so PPL that
> currantly have no internet.  I want to setup a K12LT and then start passing
> out the wireless cards and CD's or even preconfigured thin clients that can
> somehow hook to the wireless network for booting.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Booting over 802.11x can work, but probably not for 200 clients. I do
this on my home network, but it is shared bandwidth on wireless. A 100
foot tower requires it's own set of problems to work out. You cannot run
feedline/coax on 2.4 ghz for 100+ feet without reducing the effective
radiated power by a factor of a zillion (or so). Putting the radio at
the top of the tower will reduce this problem, it's easy to run Cat5 to
the radio and have a few feet of feedline/coax.

Look around at the guys who do this type of thing for ideas:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/wisp