[K12OSN] Server Motherboard Recommendation

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 03:48:22 UTC 2006

On 3/20/06, Daniel Loomis <drloomis at cox-internet.com> wrote:
> I would still like to receive recommendations for a new MB.  We are
> talking about doing trying to do some video editing on thin clients and
> the extra horsepower would be very useful.  I have also considered using

I say stick with Tyan. Tyan makes nice dual Opteron boards. Only
advice would be to stick with AMD chipsets. Don't know much about the
newer combo AMD/Nvidia pci-e chipset Opteron boards from Tyan. The
older AMD only chipset based boards are well supported. If you can
afford dual core cpu great but personally I don't think they are worth
double the cost of a single core. Also, since each cpu has it's own
mem controller the 2.6 kernel can take advantage of NUMA. (as long as
you don't go dual core). Some of these boards also come with Adaptec
dual channel scsi controllers. Although, the nicer LSI scsi controller
ones are only on the quad board$ or on the newer nvidia. If you want
to go SATA go for an LSI 8x 300 pci-x or a 3ware card. BTW seagate's
NL35 line of SATA drives are nice.

--
Robert Arkiletian