[K12OSN] Xen in FC5...what does this mean for us?

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Wed Mar 22 16:19:36 UTC 2006

Virtualization is good for hardware consolidation; if you need two OSs you can do it on
one box, whereas it used to be that you needed one box for each OS.  Considering that
the problem most people on this list encounter is that the number of clients starts to
exceed the hardware's ability to support all those clients, I don't see much value for
this group in virtualization, not for a few years anyway*.  Virtualization is multiple
OSs on one box, clustering is using multiple boxes to form one OS.  I think clustering
will be of more interest to LTSP.

*If you had a mainframe with multiple processors and, say, 512GB of RAM, it might make
sense to run multiple virtual servers, each dedicated to one application used in your
LTSP environment.  You get the advantage that you can add and remove apps without
potentially breaking the user environment or other apps.  It's the same as using
dedicated app servers now, as Largo, FL does, but without all the 'extra' hardware of a
separate box for each application.  That way, a bad or piggish app is even more
separated from all the other apps and the desktop environment; in short, a more solid
architecture.  But machines of this caliber aren't cheap, and I don't know that
virtualization on Intel/x86 architecture is solid enough that I'd be willing to bet my
whole environment on it.

Petre