[K12OSN] FC 5 and LTSP

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Thu Mar 23 18:50:13 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 03:02 -0500, Jarod Watkins wrote:
> Eric Harrison wrote:
> > For the FC5-based version of K12LTSP, I'm going to use the
> > soon-to-be-released LTSP version 4.2. I hope to have a beta ready this
> > weekend, I only have a small handful of show-stoppers I need to
> > resolve...
> >
> > -Eric
> If you don't mind, would you tell me what you did? i really would like
> to get FC5 setup if i could! Thanks!

I was able to get a separate FC5 Terminal server (ie: The PXE/tftp/nfs
root still running on the original K12LTSP server but a new FC5 test
server running on the same network and serving gdm to the clients) very
easily.  It even has selinux enabled :-)

If you want to go this route for testing 1) Do an FC5 install on a
separate machine.  2) Configure gdm on the FC5 server to serve xdmcp on
the network. 3) On the ltsp server, change /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf:
set the SCREEN_XX (where XX is the number of the screen you're changing)
to startx on the FC5 box.  Something like this: In the [Default]
section: SCREEN_01 = "startx -query 192.168.5.254"  Will make your first
VT (open an X session with the server at 192.168.5.254 [which is where I
have my FC5 server.]

Of course, you probably don't want to change things for all your users
without testing first, so instead of [Default] use a section with the
name of your workstation.  And instead of SCREEN_01 use SCREEN_02.  Then
you can access the new server on the second VT by hitting Ctrl-Alt-F2
(and the SCREEN_01 definition using Ctrl-Alt-F1)

I have my home directories on an nfs server and authentication served
via ldap (set up to connect to ldap while installing the FC5 server) so
I set those up before reconfiguring the ltsp server.

-Toshio