[K12OSN] Performance Issue

Sudev Barar sbarar at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 22:38:17 UTC 2006

> "Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
> Thursday, March 23, 2006 at 12:31 AM +0000 wrote:
> >I am currently running K12LTSP (ver 4.4.1 I believe) on a dual xeon 3.06
> >MHz computer with 4-80 Gb SATA drives configured on a megaraid-4
> >controller raid 1+0.  2 nics, and 1 is even a gigabyte nic, but all the
> >switches involved in my network are 10/100, so it is not being utilized

Are SATA drives upto speed? Me thinks that this here is your likely
bottleneck. IMHO while it is true that program libs space is common
users data or temp files need to read/written for all users and here
SCSI drives would shine.
Run something like iptraf to see what max I/O rates are achieved on
the "local" ethernet card to determine if network is really the
problem. Similarly some thins like xosview  or disk specific I/O
ststus program would show how much read writes are occuring. I run
"munin" and see daily/weekly stats to see bottlenecks.

HTH
--
Sudev Barar
Learning Linux