[K12OSN] Virtual CD prgram for linux

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri Mar 24 23:07:02 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 06:28, Barry Cisna wrote:

> Does anyone know of a virtual CD program for linux? This could then be
> accessed by thin clients. Ive googled out and haven't really come up
> with anything. I'm wanting to possibly set something like this up then
> see if I can get certain Winders CD's put into this progarm to see if
> they would run through wine.This may be a good way to run some winders
> programs and wean people away from Winders in time. I'm afraid trying to
> install native Winders Virtual CD via wine, I'm going to run into lots
> of showstopper, caveats. It seems these programs are dodgey at best
> anyway depending how the installer is setup on the Cd's you are trying
> to img/load into Virt CD. I have moons ago gotten some to run fairly
> reliably.Example Encarta, Streets&Trips,Ancestor.I dont think VMWare
> would be a good fit for all i am wanting to do?
> Any ideas?

Most programs don't really care if their data is on a CD or
not, so you can just copy the contents of the CD to an appropriate
subdirectory on the server.  Only copy protected CD's or ones with
music tracks would need the extra functions of virtual CD.  You
can also dd the whole CD into an iso image file and mount it
with a loopback mount, but that is more complicated unless you
are planning to make copies of the iso.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com