[K12OSN] Dual-Core opterons?

Stephen J. Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 20:28:31 UTC 2006

On 3/25/06, Brad Johnson <bjohnson at independence.k12.ia.us> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Does anyone have any experience using the newer dual-core opterons in
> their ltsp servers?  My most recent servers have all been dual
> processor opterons, but as opposed to spending $180 for a single core
> opteron, I can spend roughly $330 for the dual-core versions.  I'm
> thinking that two dual-core opterons would offer incredible
> performance in our lab of approx 30 clients.  Any thoughts or advice?

My experience with dual core(DC) has been mostly limited to dealing
with motherboards not understanding DC very well. Lots of BIOS updates
and odd hangs and such that turn out to be dual core issues. I would
make sure that you get a mother board/upstream manufacturer that has a
good guarentee with DC.

> Thanks,
>
> Brad Johnson

Stephen J Smoogen.