[K12OSN] OpenOffice Curriculum

cisna-barry at wc235.k12.il.us cisna-barry at wc235.k12.il.us
Tue Mar 28 15:30:55 UTC 2006

Hello List,

Thanks for eveyone sharing what they have had to overcome in just trying
to get the Opensource programs initiated into their schools. Im very much
in the same boat at the school i am at , in that the last superintendent
was very receptive to Linux,due to the $$ savings and availabilty of help
from message boards like this one,and it being a "community effort". We
have a new superintedent this year due to the fact that our school and
another school "up the road" merged,there for, the new school board,etc.
The first words from the new superintendent when trying to explain the
benefits of Opensource/Linux was "Well weather you like it or not Its a
Microsoft world out there". Need I say more?:(. Bottom line around here is
"well its, free but how long will OOo stay free",,or something similar.
this was another question about Linux/ K12LTSP viabilty. Im sure you all
have had the same frustration, in diffenrent ways when "preaching" about
Linux/ K12LTSP.
As said earlier kids will pickup very quickly on the "bells and whistles"
of each app, but certain  teachers just have the same mundain routine,
sort of like,, "We should have Apples to do such and such".
But then again .I m just a lowly peon in the scheme of things:)
Just my 2 cents.

Barry Cisna