[K12OSN] silly ldap questions

Peter Hartmann ascensiontech at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 15:32:51 UTC 2006

Forgive me if these are silly questions, but I'm trying to figure out
the possible different ways that people implement smb/ldap with ltsp.
 Do people tend to have their smb/ldap machines also be file servers
for /home? Will one machine suffice in that configuration or should
one have a backup domain controller? Does anyone keep dedicated
machines just for authentication and is that possible?  With a single
ltsp server, wouldn't that involve smb or nfs mounting /home back on
the ltsp server and for linux terminal sessions would the server
'know' that it was actually hosting /home and not bother to use the
network for file access or would there be some network overhead in
doing it that way.   I'm feeling around in the dark here -  shed some
light?

Thanks,
Peter