[K12OSN] sometimes a gray screen with x to rdp

Barry Cisna cisna-barry at wc235.k12.il.us
Wed Mar 29 12:43:20 UTC 2006

Hello List,

Could someone possibly shed some light on how to troubleshoot this
scenario. Sometimes, and it does not happen very often, on one of our
K12LTSP servers, when trying to do the CTL+ALT+F2 at the K12LTSP login
to direct to the Windows terminal server the clients that are connected
to this server get the gray screen with X after getting the "Press enter
to login"( to the windows terminal server). It never does this to the
actual K12LTSP server login. It only happens on this particular server.
A simple reboot of this K12LTSP server fixes the problem, but i was just
trying to pin down what service has actually died, that requires a
reboot to bring it back from the dead. I m guessing its something to do
the gdm,or X (version) maybe? I was wanting to maybe just restart some
service without having to restart the server while other people are
logged into K12LTSP.
I have went through the nicely detailed "gray screen with X"
troubleshooter on the LTSP wiki, by Jim M but everything pans out fine
with all the diagnostics that i gathered from that how to.
Any thoughts, ideas?

Barry Cisna