[K12OSN] Re: [Ltsp-discuss] Using dnsmasq instead of dhcpd / named

Andy Rabagliati andyr at wizzy.com
Thu Mar 30 11:12:29 UTC 2006

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006, Jason Maas wrote:

> Hi Andy,
>
> On Mon, 13 Feb 2006, Andy Rabagliati wrote:
>
> > Main benefits are that dnsmasq will proxy requests to my ISP
> > nameserver, instead of starting dns lookups from . (root).
>
> Dnsmasq is indeed a very nice little program, but just in case anyone was
> wondering BIND can also be configured to behave that way.  Look in your
> favorite BIND documentation for info about the 'forwarders' option which
> [usually, depending on your distro] goes in the named.conf file.

[ resurrecting an old thread, and crossposting ]

However, dnsmasq can use the ISP-supplied nameserver - it seems the
'forwarders' option needs a fixed assignment ?

Since I am putting together a CD for others to use, not just myself, I
cannot use a static allocation without some ugly sed/named restart stuff.

In case anyone else has some good ideas, and risking some off-topicness,
this is my problem :-

* I have a server in a Thin Client lab, that handles ltsp boot (handing
  off to other application server(s)), courier webmail, wwwoffle web
  cache, and a dialup connection to rest-of-world.
  Dialup!! Yes, this is Africa.

* Dialup is done overnight, as allowing a school lab to surf during
  school hours would be a monumental waste of time.

* Upon dialup, my server fetches the school email (BSMTP over UUCP)
  and scoops some websites, as selected by the school administrator. All
  this happens unattended.

My main problem is that a raft of things are kicked off after dialup
(UUCP, ntpdate, dyndns update, web scoop) and 'named' is a truck standing
in the middle of the highway getting off to a slow start. I need local
name services within the school (reverse lookup for clients, access to
application servers) so I need a nameserver while offline, and I have
been using bind.

Often what happens is that named is too slow, lookups time out, and my
dialup is for naught.

How can I speed up lookups right after dialup ?

Cheers,    Andy!

	http://wizzy.org.za/
	http://www.wizzydigital.org/