[K12OSN] Finding lost directory

Martin Woolley sysadmin at handsworth.bham.sch.uk
Fri Mar 31 08:33:00 UTC 2006

On Friday 31 Mar 2006 03:57, Krsnendu Dasa wrote:
> HELP!
> A very important directory has disappeared from our server, (with our
> student database). Is there anyway of looking for files that have been
> accidentally moved/deleted etc?

Do you have a backup?  If so recover from it.  If not, I fear it is too late.
It IS possible to recover deleted files following the instructions at
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.misc/browse_thread/thread/89854392c7ddba14/f5c731a28f009db8
and I have done in on a couple of occasions.  However, the sucess of recovery
is directly related to how much has changed on the filesystem.  You need to
unmount is as soon as the file has been deleted, unless you have a very quiet
box and servers are rarely inactive.

--
Regards
Martin Woolley

to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email
in error please notify postmaster at bgfl.org

The views expressed within this email are those of the
individual, and not necessarily those of the organisation