[K12OSN] OT - VOIP one way sound problem

Julius Szelagiewicz julius at turtle.com
Fri May 5 17:36:41 UTC 2006

>> I did find when googling that there exist ip-conntrack-nat patches for
>> SIP
>> packet tracking. Anybody using them? Should we ask Eric to compile them
>> in?
>
> By this do you mean that your ltsp server is your external router or
> just that the phones get their ip from the ltsp server?  What sort of
> port forwarding do you have to your pbx (assuming that your pbx is
> using voip to call the outside world)  What's the layout like?
>

> Peter
>
>> Dear Folks,
>>  this is off topic, but since some of you run the same software and
>> equipment ...
>>  I have a problem connecting remote IP Mitel phones to Mitel 3300 pbx.
>> Everything seems hunky-dory, the phones find the pbx, download software
>> and happily give dial tone. unfortunately when you use them to call, the
>> voice goes only one way - from the remote phone to the call receipient,
>> nothing the other way.
>>  The only comment I get from the vendor techis is that it is "a gateway
>> problem", nothing more specific.
>>
>> Any advice happily received.
>>
>> I did find when googling that there exist ip-conntrack-nat patches for
>> SIP
>> packet tracking. Anybody using them? Should we ask Eric to compile them
>> in?

the k12 servers sit as routers / firewalls as well. so you have a server
with public address, nat to 192.168.34.0, hp procurve switch with 2 vlans,
the one for the phones is 192.168.33.0/25. all works well locally. Remote
site sits on natted interface (comcast foolishness), connected to first
site over openvpn. the internal network 192.168.12.0/24, connected over
tun0, the voice network is 192.168.33.0/25 - the "other half". no problems
pinging and such, the phones do a happy and fast tftp to the pbx at firs
site. the sound goes only one way - from remote phone to call receipient.
very annoying. turned off iptables, made sure source natting is ok, to no
avail.
grrrr. julius