[K12OSN] Bandwidth limiting with Squid with K12

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Sun May 7 15:12:16 UTC 2006

On Sun, 7 May 2006 dackerman at apnts.org wrote:

> I think K12ltsp will work well for us (after tyring Ubuntu with ltsp).  I am
> setting up squid for squidguard and dansguardian.  Is there anything I need to
> do with the k12ltsp 5 beta5 to activate these?
>
> I also want to use squid to limit bandwidth because the ltsp server will also be
> used as a file server and internet gateway for about 50 residential students.  I
> don't want them to hog the bandwidth.  What should I do for this?  I have seen
> directions at
> http://www.linuxsecurity.com/resource_files/firewalls/Bandwidth-Limiting-HOWTO/
> and it says to uninstall squid and then reinstall and some other directions.
> Has anyone done this with squid with K12?  I don't want to break the system
> because I do not know much about IP tables, etc.  I just copy what is there.
> If anyone has a squid.conf I could copy, that would really be great, or can
> give me specific directions for setting this up.  Thanks.  These are really
> important projects for us, and we are in first grade trying to read college
> books.
>
> DAvid

You do not need to reinstall squid, the version in K12LTSP includes the
delay pools feature.

Note that the document you linked to is from 2001. That is ancient, much of
it will not apply to a recent Linux distro (kinda like using Windows 3.1
documentation to work on Windows XP)

As for configuring delay pools, it is pretty well documented in squid's
example config file: /etc/squid/squid.conf.defaults

Here is a simple example that you can append to /etc/squid/squid.conf

 	delay_pools 0
 	delay_class 1 2
 	delay_access 1 allow all
 	delay_parameters 1 -1/-1 8000/8000

What this does is limit all users going to all web sites to a maximum
of 64kbps. See the additional examples in /etc/squid/squid.conf.defaults
if you want to do something more complicated.

-Eric