[K12OSN] what is the maximum number of clients per serve]

Daniel Howard dhhoward at comcast.net
Sun May 7 16:32:02 UTC 2006

Folks, next year we're going to move to an enterprise model from our
current model of one server per class, and try to minimize the number of
servers in the school, but shoot for a 2:1 student to PC ratio.  A
school like ours with on the order of 700 kids would then have 350
clients.  Assuming server cost is not an issue, and we separate the
boot, authentication/file storage, and application servers, what kind of
monster servers would we need, and how many clients could each serve?
It's an elementary school, so high levels of graphics and animation will
be involved (Flash web sites, Tuxtype, etc.).  For word processing, we
can stick with Abiword if OpenOffice causes the answer to change
drastically.

TIA,
Daniel