[K12OSN] Kernel headers needed

David Whitmer dwblue02 at yahoo.com
Mon May 8 02:10:57 UTC 2006

Jack,

You probably need to install the so-called VMware any-any update to get VMware server to run.  I used it to get VMware server to run on one K12LTSP, and VMware player running on another K12LTSP computer (both running FC4).

The short version is to do the following:

1) follow VMware's Linux installation instructions... but before running "vmware-config.pl", install the any-any update

2) installing the any-any update:

* download the latest any-any patch from ftp://ftp.cvut.cz/vmware
* the patch file name takes the form "vmware-any-any-update###.tar.gz", where "###" is a sequential release number
* unpack
* enter the unpacked directory and run "./runme.pl"

3) if "runme.pl" didn't kick off "vmware-config.pl", then run it and continue on in VMware's insallation instructions

For details on this patch, go to the following link:
http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=26693&tstart=0

VMware's Linux installation instructions are at:
http://www.vmware.com/support/server/doc/releasenotes_server_beta.html#linuxinstall

HTH,

David Whitmer
Media and Technology Director