[K12OSN] server sizing... again

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon May 8 15:05:33 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 04:05, Sudev Barar wrote:

> KISS: Dual core dual Xeon CPU MoBo wih as much RAM and fastest SCSI's Raid5
>
> That said recently we have tried setting up two servers with dhcpd
> load balancing on the same network. Things have been pretty good for
> last three days in office environment. Users have started feeling the
> difference and no longer chorus of system is soooo slow today is being
> heard. Head for LTSP wiki for details.

An interesting variation here would be to move home directories
and authentication to a central machine and add a server or
two to the backbone network but continue to use classroom servers
wherever you have a concentration of clients and a convenient
location to park the local server and switch.  In this scenario
the local servers can all be clones with no individual configuration
required so you eliminate local maintenance and if you have some
spare capacity on the backbone servers you could just change
the local switch connection to use them if a local server fails.

That seems like a safer way to go if you already have some
number of classroom servers.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com