[K12OSN] OT: Dansguardian HowTo

pogson robert.pogson at gmail.com
Tue May 9 01:43:38 UTC 2006

 Barry R Cisna <cisna-barry wc235 k12 il us> wrote:
"DG will start doing its thing, providing you have the correct DG proxy
number entered
on your K12LTSP server for the clients to filter through. It would be
something like <serveripaddress> port 8080 in your webbrowser. "
I did it the hard way with config files. My recollection is that the key
point was access control. You do not want students to change proxy
settings in the browser to get around the filter. You can set your
firewall to only accept port 80 requests from the user for squid. You
can set access control for squid to only accept port 3128 requests from
dansguardian. Then only port 8080 to dansguardian can get out. You can
firewall to allow a privileged user like yourself to buypass
dansguardian to permit .iso downloads and the like. You can also do this
with port forwarding at the firewall but it made my head spin.

It should be possible to configure a default user for settings like
proxy and have everything done for users added afterward. In the lab, it
is no problem to give instructions and have users set their browser, but
you need automation for other users in the building. GNOME has such
configuration tools but you must be consistent in creating users through
GNOME to have it all work. I like to use the command line so I can
create a file of user data and run a script over it. There is a
mechanism in useradd to clone a home directory.
--
A problem is an opportunity.