[K12OSN] installing from FTP server - recommended?

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Tue May 9 12:59:53 UTC 2006

On Tue, 09 May 2006 06:55:31 -0500, Doug Simpson wrote
> Actually, you *could* do the install that way, but it would likely
> take you longer than just downloading the CDs and installing that way.
>
> While it does have some "cool factor", I wouldn't try it. . .
>
> Doug
>
> light being wrote:
>
> > Is is a good idea to install directly from the public FTP server?
> >
> > Downloading the ISO for six whole CD's doesnt seem exactly necessary
> > for a standard LTSP installation...
> >
> > Will I be able to use the downloaded RPM's for another install, in
> > other words, do they get downloaded and saved in some re-usable way
> > and place?

I think your best bet would be to download the ISO's to a local linux box.
You can then share the directory containing the ISO's to the network via NFS.
 Then burn disc1 only.  Now you can boot up with disc1 and at the prompt
instead of simply hitting enter you can enter "linux askmethod".  This will
bring you to a menu where you can choose NFS install and then type in the IP
of your NFS server.  Then everything will install from the NFS share without
prompting for CDs.  Then in the future when there is an update you simply
rename your old iso's to whatever the new ones are called, and rsync.  This
will save you the pile of burned CD versions, give you the quickest unattended
install, and save you time in the future downloading when new versions are
released.

Hope that helps