[K12OSN] OT - Creating Network Attached Storage

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed May 10 15:09:33 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-10 at 09:23, David Trask wrote:

> >NASLite is fantastic, used it for a few years now works as Samba Share or
> >FTP.
> >
> >Lots of Free / Simple NAS products on the market now, depends mostly on
> >how
> >much, and what type of storage you want.  NASLite runs off a floppy, USB,
> >or
> >if you have to, CD.  Because of the floppy, you can start a system, and
> >have
> >a full 4 hard drives free.
> >

> FreeNAS is also pretty cool and has more features such as user
> accounts...etc.  I use NASLIte at home....very cool

And openfiler is probably the opposite end of the feature
spectrum with growable LVM's, snapshots, iscsi, etc. but
all manged with a web interface.  It requires an external
LDAP server or domain controller for authentication but might
make the perfect system for central home directories if you
already have that.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com