[K12OSN] Switching to the Firefox Customization Kit

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Wed May 10 22:42:33 UTC 2006

Eric Harrison wrote:
> The Firefox Customization Kit was recently released:
>
> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/cck/firefox/
>

> I just tested it out and it will do all of the modifications that are
> currently done in the K12LTSP firefox package. This is a much better way
> to modify firefox.
>
> I'm studying the beagle package right now (which includes a pre-packaged
> Firefox extention). Once I finish learning all of the prerequisite
> magic, I'll put out a test package.
>
> -Eric

Okay, I think I got it. Here is a "use at your own risk" test package:

ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/K12LTSP/testing/RPMS/k12ltsp-firefox-0.1-0.k12ltsp.5.0.0.i386.rpm

I have more things I want to do to this, but I might not get to it for a
day or two. At the very minimum, the bookmarks need to be updated.

I'm also thinking about splitting this into two packages. The logic for
taking a firefox extension (xpi) and installing it globally appears to
be generic, it should be able to be used with any extension. I'm
thinking about making it into a script and packaging it separately so it
will be easy for people to load their own global extensions.

-Eric