[K12OSN] OT: Squid/Dansguardian but who did it?

Barry R Cisna cisna-barry at wc235.k12.il.us
Wed May 10 22:58:55 UTC 2006

Hi Paul,

Up until 3 years ago we did have setup to were, like Mike E, mentioned
here, each user had an internet login( besides your domain login). This
was all setup through our firewall appliance which was a homebrew Linux
from a company close to us,that have several of these firewall/viruswall
appliances out in this area to schools. It was setup though ncsa
authentication. I finally talked the higher ups into doing away with it.
It would definatly show you in the logs( and would email the admin
user), who tripped the filter and how many times,etc.
Of course if the student knows how to take out the proxy number in
Internet Explorer, they are home free anyway:(.
If you are using DG in conjunction with Webmin & the DG module for
Webmin its farily simple to find the machine name/number then do a
"last" command, to be kind of kludgey way if you want to nail an
individual.

Do a search for ncsa authentication on how to tie in this auth method
along with Squid and DG if you want to give this approach a spin.

Take Care,

Barry Cisna