[K12OSN] OT: News article

Martin Woolley sysadmin at handsworth.bham.sch.uk
Thu May 11 08:40:33 UTC 2006

On Thursday 11 May 2006 02:33, Doug Simpson wrote:

> "There's no innovation that we've seen come out of - at least Linux,"
> Ballmer said Tuesday. "Linux is a clone of a 30-years-old operating
> system (called Unix)."

I reckon M$ has stifled innovation.  When I started working in computing in
1979, I worked on IBM 370s and ICL 2900s, which were common machines.  Ten
years later, I was working with PCs running Windows and the big irons were
all but consigned to history.  Another 15 years on and I am still working
with PCs running Windoze.  I think the PC came out in 1983 and Windows was
launched in 1985; ie it's 20 years old.  Linux (1992) is really the fresh
faced kid on the block.

--
Regards
Martin Woolley

to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email
in error please notify postmaster at bgfl.org

The views expressed within this email are those of the
individual, and not necessarily those of the organisation