[K12OSN] Stopping web messenger

Mike Ely mely at rogueriver.k12.or.us
Thu May 11 20:55:00 UTC 2006

Yeah, that's a common enough trick.  I'm struggling with it, too.  The
option I haven't taken yet is to whitelist sites that can be used with
port 443, but I'm leaning in that direction.

On a related note, the supers here are talking about setting web access
up as a whitelist-only situation.  While this seems insane at first,
it's pretty much what's already happening anyhow.  Ideally, what I'd
much rather see is the state to step forward and fund schools to the
point that we don't have stuff like this happening - invariably it turns
out to be due to inadequate supervision, whether that's because high
school students have actual free periods (shockingly, they tend to get
into the most trouble when they're scheduled to be at school but not
anywhere in particular), or because middle school teachers are seeing 45
students in their classes...