[K12OSN] tight vnc connection to ltsp client refused (111 error)

Dan Visentin visentind at hdsb.ca
Tue May 30 02:19:40 UTC 2006

Robert Arkiletian writes:

Why did you try to install tightvnc? Eric has made an rpm with the
tightvnc viewer. It's called teachertool-tightvnc. Be careful NOT to
install tightvnc and realvnc together. They have binaries which have
the same names.
I can't seem to reproduce your situation. The only thing which sets
off a bell in the control/monitor instructions is running vncpasswd.

Oh, just foolish experimentation I guess  ;)
I was thinking the teachertool-tightvnc viewer required a tightvnc server or something like that.
I understand things better now and am trying "restore" things to where the system should be.  I certainly still have a lot to learn!  For instance, the vncviewer now on the system is a May 11, 2006 build.  It works but I wonder if installing a vncserver
beta has caused this problem.  I tried erasing it and reinstalling vnc from yum and the k12ltsp repos but I still get the same build.  I imagine it's a simple thing for those who know what they are doing but I guess I'm destined to learn the hard way ;).
 I tend to just try things because of a lack of time to really devote to it and  do the reading.  At any rate, I know the problems I'm experiencing are due to something I did and isn't a bug in Fl_TT or Eric's vnc.so and the monitoring and control
features are excellent.

btw... another great feature to add, if you are so inclined, is another button to shutdown all the workstations remotely using /usr/sbin/ltspinfo --host=wsXXX --shutdown (or --reboot).  I'm considering modifying the sourcecode for fun (I know that's
dangerous... but what the heck!).
At any rate, I appreciate your looking into these problems created by my follies!

Dan Visentin
Head of Business/Computers/IT contact
M. M. Robinson H.S.
"As a computer, I find your faith in technology amusing."
vnc-4.1.1-11.f