[K12OSN] users and groups,were are they hiding?

Barry Cisna cisna-barry at wc235.k12.il.us
Wed May 31 19:11:37 UTC 2006

Hello All,

I posted this question a few days ago, and am still wrangling with this.
I am unable to re-add an updated userlist via Webmin to one of our
servers.( This same userlist added fine to three other servers identical
to this sever). Webmin says that the users 'im wanting to add back after
deleting ALL users,some already exist( this amounts to about 650
users),,I get "duplicate user already exists, not adding" on most users
when Webmin adds this userlist. and some users do get re-added.I'm not
really wanting to manually re-add 650 usernames/id#'s etc,ugh.
What I have found since my first post is, When I right click on a users,
home folder> do properties, that did re-add,and go view users/& group
permissions to change them,, ALL of the users are in fact listed as an
available user to change permission to. My question is were is Linux
users & groups picking up these users from? They are diffinetly not
listed in the users and groups GUI,as they are not listed in the
<passwd,gshadow,shadow,groups,> files.
Thought i should mention this i have manually deleted all home folders
thinking this may have been the culprit .
I thought possibly the users were being seen via samba but i've drilled
through the user/password files of samba and nothing exists
there ,either.I deleted all of the /var/samba/cache files as well.
This sounds kind of confusing,I m sure.
Anyone have any ideas?

FC3  K12LTSP 4.2.1

Thanks,