[K12OSN] Picasa...also now on LInux!

David Whitmer dwblue02 at yahoo.com
Wed May 31 20:34:09 UTC 2006

I installed it on my home's K12LTSP server over the weekend.  I agree, it works pretty much just like the Windows version, which I, too, like.

I even tried running Picasa on a thin client.  The first time I started it up, I believe it complained about remote X not being supported and that I needed to change some device permissions.  I made those changes, and it work really well on the thin client.  I didn't try actually editing any images, though Picasa did catalog over 1000 photos from my hard drive.

I have NOT tried having multiple thin clients running it simultaneously.

To me, another great aspect of Picasa on Linux is its WINE tie-in.  There are details at WINE's web site, www.winehq.com.  Hopefully, this will encourage other companies to port their Windows apps to Linux.

David Whitmer
Media & Technology Director
Calvary Schools of Holland (Michigan)