[K12OSN] how to create etherboot CD

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon May 1 20:00:52 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 14:15, Les Mikesell wrote:

> > > I hacked someone else's CD image, don't remember the exact details (it
> > > is in the archives...).
> > >
> > > Give this a spin:
> > >
> > > ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/K12LTSP/testing/eb_pci.iso
> > >
> > > -Eric
> >
> > Well, that works a bit better than my CDs: FreeDOS seems to load, and I get the screen
> > full of dots (is this the tftp stage?), ending in 'done'.  But then the next line says
> > 'Issuing RESET:' and it just hangs there.
>
> That one works for me in an old Capuccino mini-book PC.  The dots
> should be the tftp part and after the 'done' you should get
> something like
> mknbi-1.4.0/first32.c (GPP)
> Top of ramdisk is 0X07EE0000.

Revisiting this topic:  this disk seems to no longer work with
the 5.0.0 beta.  The mini-book might be related to the i810 problem
others have mentioned, but it is also failing in a Dell
Optiplex gx1 that will boot with either PXE or an etherboot
floppy from the 5.0.0 server.

It appears to load the kernel, probes a few things and stops
at:
Using IPI Shortcut mode
RAMDISK: Couldn't find valid RAM disk image starting at 0.
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(1,0)

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com