[K12OSN] User accounts failing login from ldap/samba server to k12ltsp

Randall Swift swift at msad52.org
Wed May 3 14:21:27 UTC 2006

I have been having some login problems to my k12ltsp network. Let me
explain my setup.
Samba/LDAP server doing all authenticating (windows computers as well as
k12ltsp).
The problem is that some students cannot log into k12ltsp but they can log
into a windows machine. This has been affecting students sporadically. One
day a student can log in fine and then the next day it will not log them
on to k12ltsp but will on a windows machine. This has been happening all
year but is getting worse now. Some things I have tried:
Reset their password (made no difference)
Chown their home directory (occasionally this would work)
 Any Ideas? Why might this be happening?
Thanks for the help

Randy Swift
Network Administrator