[K12OSN] OT: Damn Small Linux (DSL) Question

Brian Chivers brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk
Wed May 3 14:23:29 UTC 2006

Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> I have been trying to get more familiar with DSL for repairing infested
> Windows machines and as a mobile Linux desktop.  The main problem I have been
> having at this point is that all drives that I mount via the mount tool end up
> being "read only filesystems".  External USB hard drives and thumb drives, and
> the most important, the local Windows drive.  I have searched google and I can
> find no help.  What I want to do most is be able to modify the files on the
> Windows FAT32 or NTFS drive.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?  Even the right syntax to mount the
> filesystems via command as su would be helpful.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim Kronebusch
> Cotter Tech Department
> 507-453-5188

Hope I'm not teaching you to "suck eggs" but this is my 2cents !!!! *grin*

NTFS is NEARLY always mount as read only as it's not recommended to mount them RW because it's
really easy to corrupt a NTFS drive

Try fdisk -l to list everything

But to mount something like Fat32 you could try

mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/win

Usually workout what /dev device it is my `tail` /var/log/messages as you plugin the USB device

Brian