[K12OSN] OT: Damn Small Linux (DSL) Question

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Thu May 4 14:11:09 UTC 2006

Wow!  Thanks to everyone for the input here.  I am trying to train myself and
a couple of tech to use some type of liveCD linux to troubleshoot Windows
machines.  We waste a lot of time repairing Windows boxes to a state good
enough to backup/recover data.  Sometimes all we want to do is save data,
other times it would be nice to quick modify a corrupt boot.ini and reboot the
machine and go home.  That is why I am looking for multiple forms of access
and backup.

All of these suggestions have been great.  I think for my purpose I will work
mostly with Knoppix, I think the newer kernel and ready installed captive on
the newest version will accomplish all of the tasks I am looking for.

I figured there would be a more appropriate list to post this to somewhere,
but I have yet to find a list that can answer such broad topics with such
accuracy as this one.  And not get slammed in the meantime.

I think this list should get nominated for best open source list of the year :-)

Thanks again.

Jim Kronebusch