[K12OSN] Problems with Flash detection

Daniel Loomis drloomis at cox-internet.com
Thu May 4 19:41:40 UTC 2006

All of a sudden flash-enabled websites that our younger children like to
visit like noggin.com and cartoonnetwork.com are coming up with errors
or getting stuck at a blue screen with the text:  "Detecting Flash..."
at the top.  Others come up saying that the version of Flash is not
supported.

When I go to the Macromedia Flash test sites everything works just fine.

Has there been a recent change in the way Flash detection software is
being implemented?  Most use some form of embedded javascript.  The
problems occur in any version of Firefox from 1.0.7 through 1.5.0.2, all
recent versions of konqueror, and Mozilla running on Linux.  On a
WindowsXP laptop running Firefox 1.5.0.2 everything works as it should.

What is strange is that everything was working fine about a week ago
(last of April).

Dan