[K12OSN] open samba share

Julius Szelagiewicz julius at turtle.com
Fri May 5 00:33:15 UTC 2006

> On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 11:00, Doug Simpson wrote:
>> I am wanting a dumb share available without having to have usernames and
>> passwords entered on the linux server, but still have the smb set up
>> with
>> security = server. .
>>
>> Not possible is it?
>>
>> I guess I will just have to add the users on the linux server. . . RATS!
>
> I think if you use winbindd authentication on the linux side
> the users would be there automatically.  Otherwise all you
> need is the 'adduser' step.  You don't have to assign passwords
> on the Linux side.

There is another way to "skin this kitty" - in the smb.conf have a line
like this:
include = /etc/opt/samba/smb.conf.%L
now you can have multiple conf files with whatever security setting on the
file / share name level thusly:
#
#smb.conf.tnhpub
#images for public viewing
#new style - password not required

   security = share
   guest account = smbnull

==============================

[images]
   comment = Image Directory
   browseable = yes
   public = yes
   writable = no
   path = /a2/images

and another:
#smb.conf.turtle - old style, password required
#
        security = user

==============================
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   valid users = %S
   writable = no
[ups]
   comment = Home Directory
   browseable = no
   valid users = fedex
   writable = yes
   path = /mnt/fedex/ups

for my efforts i get 2 separate shares: "turtle" and "tnhpub" user and
share security respectively.
julius