[K12OSN] OT: Damn Small Linux (DSL) Question

ssanders at coin.org ssanders at coin.org
Fri May 5 05:33:56 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 11:27 -0500, Jim Kronebusch wrote:

> At this point I was able to do everything I need in Knoppix after adding
> captive-nfs.  Very slick.  But I really like the speed of DSL and the ability
> to customize everthing and store those changes on USB.  Maybe the DSL-N is
> what I need.

Nearly all recent Knoppix variants have the ability to store settings,
and optionally create a persistent home directory on writable media.
This can be a USB stick, a section of a mounted internal or external
(usb) hard drive, CF/SD cards that it can see or even a floppy disk. A
floppy is fine for storing settings and being portable, but it's pretty
small for a home directory.

I love DSL for the speed, and the ability to run on ancient hardware. I
like more full Knoppix variants for wider variety of apps to run. It can
be a hassle if you want to load up very many instances of DSL up with
lots of stuff. I forget now, but once it seemed I had a need for a
powerpoint player on a very old laptop, and it was difficult getting
something to run well on DSL. Examine your needs, check a few out, and
choose what works best for you.