[K12OSN] Creating a link on the desktop

pogson robert.pogson at gmail.com
Fri May 5 19:22:57 UTC 2006

On Thu, 04 May 2006 16:57:28 -0700
Steve Knopik <steve at sierra-computer.com> wrote:

        "I am building a new server with K12LTSP 4.2.3EL. I am trying to
        create a
        link on the desktop to connect to our web based accounting
        software.
        When I create the link to "http://192.168.1.165/nolapro/"
        Firefox opens
        "http://localhost/nolapro". Our webserver is on another server,
        so
        localhost will not work."

I have had this happen a few times when I make a link on  a dynamic page
like <a href="http://localhost/nolapro"> because I have misconfigured
the PHP script to be localhost relative. You can usually configure  the
IP address of the server in the script or the name of the machine if
your /etc/hosts or local DNS is set up for it. It is not that your link
icon is not right. It is that the dynamic page your script produces is
spitting out localhost. This could be a security feature, preventing
access to anyone not on the same server. I often run all my servers on
the LTSP machine so localhost works for thin clients but not thick ones
or intruders. Is nolapro working for thick clients? If not, this is
likely the cause.

Robert