[K12OSN] Smart boards

Barry Cisna cisna-barry at wc235.k12.il.us
Mon May 8 12:13:54 UTC 2006

Hi John,

In regards to your Smart Board question, I tried two years ago to get
the Smart Board software to work on Linux/K12LTSP, & to make a long
story short it never did work:(. I even done a default install of an old
Linux Mandrake version that the Smart Technology software was suppose to
support. Again, long story short, it did not work either. Lots of hours
spent trying and re-trying, still no joy. I even tried running the
Windows version via Wine, and got close but no go.The problem seems to
be with all of the tray icon stuff for SB software is what is the killer
from what i can gather.
If you are running K12LTSP v4.1.1 the RHEL version of the linux software
at Smart Technolgy's site will install. Don't know why that is? The
version specified for just plain old linux will not uncompress due to it
is an Java compressed bin file and dies while trying to decompress it. I
tried soft linking ,unlinking, relinking,,,yada yada.
If you have any success please post it here.

Take Care,

Barry Cisna