[K12OSN] What programming languages are people teaching in K12LTSP environment

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Thu May 11 13:54:42 UTC 2006

At my kids' school, the two computer teachers are trying to get money for upgrading
their computer lab for next fall.  They've calculated that they need ~$32k to replace 25
machines with 3ghz P4s with 1GB RAM; they also want to replace the CRTs with flat panels
to reduce the heat in the room, which is problem.  They're being told there isn't that
much money available.

I suggested that they look at buying/building a beefy LTSP server and use the existing
machines as clients.  One of their hesitations has to do with programming: they teach a
class on Flash, which I expect would be impossible to do on Linux.  They also teach Java
which would not be a problem on Linux.  My question is what programming classes are
people giving using their LTSP environments?  While I question the value of teaching
Flash programming at the high school level, I think an argument can be made for it in
the sense that people & businesses do like to use the things it provides.  But I think
if I can suggest alternatives--and I don't mean just a replacement for Flash, but rather
a list of languages that other schools are teaching--it might make a difference.

Petre