[K12OSN] Stopping web messenger

Jay Pfaffman pfaffman at relaxpc.com
Tue May 16 16:11:14 UTC 2006

On 5/15/06, Rob Owens <hick518 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I guess you just have to enforce punishments for going
> to the inappropriate sites and accept the fact that
> you can't stop them with technology--you've gotta stop
> them with good old fashioned threats!

Perhaps i've been out of the classroom for too long, but it would seem
simple enough to restrict those caught doing something "bad" from
using the Internet for some period of time.

One school where I've got a K12LTSP box has block all ports other than
80 (and maybe https) so I can't ssh out anymore.

I've been working on an argument that schools should give up on
offering any apps or services and letting things like gmail, writely
and so on do it for them.  Of course all of these sites are blocked by
filters.

--
Jay Pfaffman <jay at utk.edu>
Asst Professor of Instructional Technology, U. TN, Knoxville