[K12OSN] iMac booting intermittant

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Tue May 16 23:58:37 UTC 2006

Eric Harrison wrote:
> Joe Guenther wrote:
>> When trying to boot an iMac on the K12LTSP 5.0.0 beta5 with all updates,
>> I somtimes get the
>>
>> /pci/mac-io/ethernet::-1,yaboot.conf: Unknown or corrupt filesystem
>> Can't open config file
>> Welcome to yaboot version 1.3.10
>> Enter "help" to get some basic usage information
>> boot: _
>>
>> Then it just sits there.  Occasionally it will boot properly.  This will
>> be a REAL SHOWSTOPPER as I have been asked to demo this to Alberta zone
>> 5 & 6 school division technology meeting.  I can boot an iBook by
>> holding down the N key on boot. A big part of this demo is to show how
>> to recycle old junkers ... we have a ton of old iMacs that run great
>> IF/WHEN they boot.
>>
>> please help!
>> Joe Guenther
>>

> I just tested on my junker iMac and I think it is an SELinux labeling
> issue. Try turning off SELinux and see if the problem goes away:
>
> 	echo 0 > /selinux/enforce
>
> When I get the chance, I'll rebuild the package to fix this issue the
> correct way...

I got back to doing a little more testing. It is definitely NOT SELinux
related, just happened to be pure luck that it worked earlier when I
turned off enforcing mode.

It appears that the problem was that I was using a cross-over cable to
connect the iMac to the server. When I connected them both to a switch,
the iMac boots every time.

Any chance that you were using a cross-over cable as well? If you are
using a managed switch, is Spanning Tree turned off?

-Eric